What Causes Back Pain Between Shoulder Blades
Posted on November 08, 2011 by Dave W
While not as common as lower back discomfort, many people feel back pain between shoulder blades (the scapulas). This upper back pain between the shoulder scapula can be caused by a number of factors:
1. Being physically fit and trying to look good have never been more prevalent so… many young people spend a lot of time exercising. Often they are over-doing it, doing the exercises incorrectly, not properly warming up and stretching. This causes the muscles that run from their neck down between their shoulder blades to get strained very easily. Exhaustion of the muscles causes back pain between shoulder blades too, so don’t push beyond your effective limits.
2. Many of us are spending more and more time in the office, sitting in uncomfortable office chairs (with bad posture), taking phone calls (with the phone propped between the ear and shoulder), lifting, twisting, bending and doing tasks that cause our bodies to tire out. When your body gets tired, usually your back begins to sag and the back pain between shoulder blades sets in.
3. As mentioned, those of us with poor posture tend to slouch – which can cause pain throughout the back, not just in the upper back area.
4. Men and women who are overweight and women with above average sized breasts tend to have back pain between shoulder blades thanks to the added strain of the weight placed on their spinal column.
5. Add in potential medical disorders and diseases such as a pinched nerve, disc herniation, disc degeneration, and others… and the muscles in the upper back don’t stand a chance.
These things are only a few things that can be the causes of back (thoracic) pain, but they can cause discomfort ranging from mildly annoying to seriously painful, chronic and debilitating.
It is important to do what you can to address and alleviate these issues. We have enough to worry about under normal circumstance without adding in pains from back issues.
First…as always, before you seek upper back pain relief and start self treatment, see your doctor to get a diagnosis of what is creating your particular issue.
Causes for an upper back problem and back pain between shoulder blades are many and varied and you need to find out what condition is causing your aches before you do anything that could make them worse.
Be sure to follow whatever advice your therapist recommends. I’m constantly amazed at how many of us pay for professional advice – and then ignore it.
There are back pain exercises to help loosen the muscles and strengthen your back, but those who do exercise need to ensure that they don’t overexert themselves when cycling, running, training on the elliptical machine, or other activities. Make it a point to get a good stretch both before and after exercise.
Those spending a good amount of time in the office need to ensure that they have comfortable chairs to sit on. A poorly designed chair is more of a common cause of chronic back pain between shoulder blades than most of us realize.
I like seeing a shapely leg as much as the next man, but many women wear heels that are too high, and the overly high heels contribute to their back aches. (As well as damage the feet.) Wearing comfortable shoes in the workplace is vital for back pain relief. Save the heels for a night on the town.
Poor posture can easily lead to a herniated cervical disc. It is easy to slouch, but correcting your posture will go a very long way towards avoiding potentially severe back problems.
If you suspect that you have poor posture, take a look in the mirror to check it out. If your chin is more than 2 inches in front of your chest, then you are probably hanging your too head low and slouching.
Roll your shoulders back and lift your head towards the roof. Straighten your back and lift your chest to correct your posture. You need to make the effort to walk around with good posture, it may be a hassle, but it’s easier than surgery, years of physical therapy, medication and trips to your physician.
Those with large breasts should ensure that they wear bras that offer sufficient support. Larger breasted women can visit a bra specialist to obtain information on what kind of bra is the best to provide the necessary support..
Taking these small steps to change can actually help you reduce the amount of back pain between shoulder blades that you experience, and you may find that these few small changes are the difference between acute discomfort and a pain-free life.
What if you just can’t get rid of your back pain between shoulder blades?
I know how hard it can be to try and recover from back discomfort, but if you really want to recover you’ll need to learn a single method that works amazingly well…
This method is simple to pick up and it doesn’t take much practice, you can read how to do it in my free report here: Severe Back Pain Relief!
Don’t give up hope, it’s NOT impossible. Learn even more ways to get back pain relief – click the link: Middle Back Pain Causes And Relief .
Article Source: http://www.articlealley.com/http://daneitreim2.articlealley.com/what-causes-back-pain-between-shoulder-blades-2350996.html
Does anyone know of a interactive cycling game?
I work in the Road Safety team within in my local council and responsible for cycle training in schools.
I wanted to know if there’s any software like hazard perception for cyclists etc? We already have a virtual bike but its not that effective with children.
Any help on this would be much appreciated.
Assuming that you have tried DVLA, then you probably want to talk to some cyclists who are invovled with current road safety for kids, including qualified instructors for the new road safety.
These are the most likely places to pose your question:
- Best Abdominal Workout Lots of sit-ups will flatten your stomach. Sit ups are great but doing them will not actually flatten your tummy and here's why. Abs exercises will surely strengthen the muscles of the entire abdominal area but unless you reduce all over body fat, all your hard work will never be......
- Remain Fit and cycling Gains of bicycling are immense and if taken up as a form of regular exercise it can be a wondrous way to total physical fitness. Cycling tones up muscles and heightens stamina. It improves respiratory health and is a great aerobic physical exercise that is not such a dent on......
- Cycling An Straightforward Way To Get Healthy Suit and Eliminate Wieght Mountain bikers who experience through brush and trees really should look for a extensive-sleeve cycling jersey to safeguard their arms from abrasions. Cycling shirts or jerseys really worth their salt will be created of synthetic material that is comfy, light-weight and moisture resistant. This will make certain that, regardless of......
- Squash The Healthiest Sport in the World Says US Business Magazine Forbes Squash, a very interesting and arduous sport offering multifold health and fitness blessings has been considered the healthiest sport in the world. And we are not saying this, world famous and the most influential US business magazine Forbes has found out this. In a survey conducted by Forbes and comprising......
- My Knee Ache When Cycling My Knee Brace Really Helped Whether you are an avid cyclist, or just like to take an occasional jaunt on your bike, your knee aches and pains when cycling can cause you to "put on the brakes", if you know what we mean... Cycling is a great form of exercise; considered by many individuals to......
- How to Train for Cycling - Indoors [/caption]Let's be honest: it's not always the ideal weather for cycling. On heavy-traffic days on those roads when it's raining, it can actually be downright dangerous to head out on your bike. You don't want to struggle through storms, but you also don't want to miss out on any training.......
- Abdominal Training Secrets -- The Interview The Abdominal Training Secrets Interview With Tom Venuto, NSCA-CPT, CSCS Burn the Fat And David Grisaffi, CHEK, CFT, PN Abdominal Training Secrets Tom Venuto: Hi David, thanks for taking the time for this interview because I know how busy you are and that, among other projects, you run a training......
- The Path to Perfect Posture If you have a sedentary job, it is all too easy to end with bad posture. Most of us spend eight hours a day hunched in front of a computer and chances are, at the end of the day, you're probably pretty sore. (I'm lucky if I spend fewer than......
- Keeping a Triathlon Schedule to Improve Performance When training for a triathlon, it has been proven a good triathlon schedule will help you to improve your performance. This is because you will be able to create a good training plan and make sure you are able to stick to your plan. You can decide on which days......
- How to Avoid Traffic On Your Bike [/caption]The non-cyclist might think that traffic is an easy to avoid while you're on your bike - after all, isn't it very easy to hear? But reality has a way of introducing some unexpected situations. If you want to avoid traffic on your bike, it will help to hear some......
Leave a Reply